Monday, 29 June 2015

Like Phoenix, the S&NE arises from the (metaphorical) ashes

As I mentioned, I am giving up on building a high level, around the room, layout in favour of a small switching layout that I can construct and run sitting at the dining room table.

Plan A was to design a layout and build it but I am at a loss for a decent track plan. I have decided to build the layout and then design the track in situ.

As usual, I am in acquisitive mode, as always at the start of a new project. I have had to move the timeline up a bit as I wasn't able to source an SW7 at a price that I could afford -remember that I like DCC and sound. I was able to get a Broadway SW1500 for £105.00 ($165) delivered so that has forced me into the late '60s. A new SW7 would have cost me about $200 with shipping to the UK. Amazingly, these items are on sale in the UK but the price I have seen is around $320!

Here is the current plan. Small switching layout with around 6 switches. I am hoping to have them controlled with Cobalt IP Digital point motors. I am looking forward to converting my Switch List program from providing train make up into one that delivers car by car destinations.

Anyway, I have started making the foam board bases. This is where I am at the moment. There are two boards. One is shown partially constructed.

The copper strips down the middle are the two sides of the power bus. Last time I made boards like this, I forgot and had to feed the copper tape over each of the internal support struts! Once, I know thelocations of the switches I will put more supports in so, eventually, both structures will be very strong.

More soon.

No comments: