I already have their tree making kit along with bags of clump foliage so I was ready to go. Well not quite, as I also wanted to use some of their accent products - these are brightly colour shaker products to providing highlights. In addition, I had a pile of trees that I had brought with me from my model shop days so there is a mix between the pre-made and those made myself.
What I wanted to do first was to cover the edges between the boards and the back scene. I had made the back scene by simply painting some foamcore with blue emulsion paint. I bought five sample jars of paint from B&Q - brown, grey, white, green and blue. B&Q mix these colours up for you. I, eventually, went back for one special colour - I had them scan a piece of C-Track so that I could touch up the sides of the track if the ground works marked them. They have saved this colour on their computer so I can always get another pot. These pots contain 236ml and cost £3.00!
There was only 2" on the left had edge so I could only put a row of trees and some bushes but on the other end there was plenty of room for more scenery.
Here is the left side. You can see the join between the main board and the 1m2 board- which is removable.
As you can see. I had more scope on the right hand side.
Note the daisies and dandelions!
The problem across the back is that there is no room at all for any scenic work so it all has to be in front of the track. I like to see trains running between trees anyway. Here is the left hand side along the back. This area will become a farm with cows, etc, on the grass. The grass is a combination of various greens and the 12mm straw mentioned earlier.
It is difficult to do much around the front loop as I had to keep this tight so that I didn't impinge too much on Valerie's dressing table top. I have already taken a big chunk of it! This meant that all I could do was run some bushes around to give a bit of texture to the board. The big area in the middle with be the town and the fun fair.
You will notice that I have put some mixed grey scatter down between the parallel tracks to cover the baseboard. This is very cheap from Javis (around £1 per bag) but I found it to be excellent.
The next job is to build the station. See next time.