Friday, 16 August 2013

My little Prince has sound

This is an experiment. As you will have seen in a previous post, I have put a decoder into my little CW Prince loco and it works fine. I have now got hold of a Digitrax SDH164D sound decoder from my good friend Kevin at Coastal DCC. He has loaded it with a custom sound file (the standard steam sound is for a US switcher). The one he has loaded up is

Loco Model BR#5526 "Light Prarie Tank" 2-6-2 engine Scheme

I know that this isn't correct but it is the closest I could get. I have set up the sound decoder and the loco as a consist. This is purely for test purposes at the moment but if it works out I will be putting the sound decoder and the speaker in a box up in the light arch so we should get a non-directional sound. Given my little Prince, this is probably as good as it gets!

I think that I might have to put a dummy motor load onto the sound chip to get it to work completely correctly but I will speak to my DCC guru abut that. I know that, without a motor load, it is not possible to read back any CV. More on this when I know myself.

Let me know what you think. Please remember that I have had this sound chip about 10 minutes so I have yet to get fully to grips with it.

No comments: