Thursday 3 November 2022

We have legs

 We now have legs on the baseboard. These are made, like the board, out of 5mm foam core. I have some special cutting tools to use with foam core. One of them has two blades set in a v shape that are custom designed to cut a -V- into the board leaving the outer paper layer intact. This is what it looks like.


I also have a tool that takes 5mm of the end of a board, again leaving the final paper layer intact. This gives me a channel that gets UHU paper adhesive applied and makes the final edge of the box. With a careful bit of calculation, this can be folded up to make a leg that is 3" square and is very strong.


I then create a box for each leg to go into on the underside of the baseboard.



We end up like this. (BTW, it looks as though it is sagging in the middle but this is an optical illusion. The board is flat and checked with spirit level plus rolling stock stay stationary where put!).


As you can see, each leg has a collar around the base and a flat plate. The collar is made to be just big enough to be an interference fit around the leg. The legs are then put in place and the board levelled using these collars. Once in place, they are hot glued into position. It isn't too stable front to back but it is close up to the cabinets so that shouldn't matter. 

As you can see, the board is longer than the gap and thus rests on the end of the desk. The desk has an electric height adjustment so it can be set to support the board exactly. Why would I do this instead of using wood as everyone else does? Well, I have a lot of arthritis and if I have to walk more than about 30 years I resort to an electric wheelchair. I have extreme difficulty in getting onto the floor and even more difficulty getting up so I need this to be as light as it can be so that I can pick it up, turn it over and work on the underside whilst it is on the dining table. 

Well, that's it for now. I am charging uop my wireless Dremel so that I can start wiring up for DCC. That's for next time.

Thanks for watching.

David

No comments: